Monday, March 7, 2011

Spring Break in the Studio

Over break I selected materials for Table Design 2. As I was browsing material options, I decided to rework the entire design of table 2. Looking over the slab material, hoping one might fit my design, I realized the piece was no longer dictating the form, but just the opposite. I decided to select a piece and completely develop the form around it.

Here is the piece I chose. It is an olive burl. Measuring roughly 25" x 28" x 2"



While waiting for my materials to arrive, I decided to refinish table 1. So, I spent the entire break sanding, sanding, and sanding some more. After which I coated the table in epoxy followed by several layers of polyurethane. This process certainly made a difference. The epoxy really made the grain pop and brightened the tones in the wood. Although it took forever, I'm happy with the results.

1 comment:

  1. Where id you find this?! Burl is so beautiful and difficult to find-

    ReplyDelete